Birth of Jesus Christ - Biblical Answers
Biblical answers to frequently asked questions about the birth of Jesus Christ.
Genealogy and Jewish Heritage
- Why Are Matthew's and Luke's Genealogies Different?53At first glance, Matthew's and Luke's genealogies may seem contradictory, but a closer examination reveals the reasons for their differences.text
- Did the Jews Expect a Messiah?23From the gospel accounts and extra-biblical sources, the expectations of the Messiah comes through clearly.text
- What Are the Dead Sea Scrolls?21In the spring of 1947 an Arab shepherd chanced upon a cave in the hills overlooking the northwestern shore of the Dead Sea that contained what has been called "the greatest manuscript discovery of modern times." text more...
- How Did the Roman Empire Impact Judea at the Time of Christ?12The Roman Empire held sway during the time of Christ, and though distant, Rome played an important role in Judea.text
- An Empire Ready for a Savior?11Several things may be gathered out of Luke 2:1-7 that reveal to us that it was the proper time for the Savior to come.text
- Jesus Came at the Perfect Time?10It was, indeed, "due time" for God to interpose from heaven and send down an almighty Savior. It was "due time" for Christ to be born.text more...
Mary and Joseph
- The Virgin Birth: Does It Matter?47Many people reject the virgin birth of Jesus outright, while others shrug it off as nonessential to their understanding of the Savior. Does it matter?text
- How Could a Virgin Have a Child?22The Holy Spirit is the agent of the Virgin Birth; overshadowing is the means of the Virgin Birth; the Son of God is the result of the Virgin Birth.text
- Why Didn't Mary Know Who Jesus Was from the Beginning?18An angel announced Jesus's miraculous birth, so why did Mary and Joseph not seem to completely understand?text more...
- Why Bethlehem?40Bethlehem is scarcely worth counting among the clans of Judah, yet God chooses to bring his magnificent Messiah out of this town. Why?text
- How Does the Manger Reveal Who Christ Is?33Jesus was laid in a manger because there was no room for Him. How solemnly this brings out the world’s estimate of the Christ.text
- A Planned Arrival at Bethlehem?14God had prepared all of history from the beginning; he had set the stage for the entrance of his Son into the world at Bethlehem.text more...
Shepherds and Angels
- Why Did the Angels Announce Jesus's Birth to Shepherds?22While the recipients of the message were certainly important to God’s plan, equally so were the sheep they watched.text
- Shepherds: The Right Choice?16Shepherds generally came from the base elements of society. And that makes the story all the more remarkable.text
- Could Other People See the Angels?14The shepherds heard the angels—and it scared them to death. But were they the only ones?text more...
Star and Magi
- What Star Did the Magi See?28Matthew 2:2 tells us that the Magi saw Jesus's "star in the east." But what exactly did they see?text
- Why Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh?13When taken as gifts for a newborn king, the items that the Magi brought appear inappropriate, especially the frankincense and myrrh. text
- Who Were the Magi?11Matthew's account of Jesus's birth says that magi came from the East to find the King of the Jews. Who were these mysterious visitors?text more...