Death & Resurrection of Jesus Christ
Biblical answers to frequently asked questions about the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Holy Week and Passion
- Why Did Jesus Curse the Fig Tree?75The cursing of the fig tree may seem odd to us, but three key insights will help you understand this story.text
- The Symbolism of the Last Supper?45The Last Supper, which took place hours before the Lord’s crucifixion—was a Seder (Passover observance). Previously, the feast’s symbols had only pointed back to the Hebrews’ redemption from Egypt. But that Thursday night, Jesus revealed the messianic significance of two symbols: bread and wine.text
- A Time Line of the Passion Week32A time line and chronology of the Passion Week that includes Gregorian dates, First Century Jewish day/night cycles, and Galilean Jew cycles.text more...
- Why Did the Veil in the Temple Rip?73In the inner court of the temple in Jerusalem, in the Holy of Holies, was the Ark of the Covenant. That was where the high priest would go once a year to offer atonement for the sins of the people. A veil, a very thick, woven curtain, separated the Holy of Holies from the rest of the temple.text
- How Does the Death of Jesus Save?69What does Christ's death on the cross have to do with salvation? Isn't it just a form of divine child abuse?text
- How is Jesus Our Substitute?41On the cross, God treated Jesus as if He had committed every sin ever committed by every person who would ever believe.text more...
- Why Did Jesus Say "Woman, Behold Your Son"?39Jesus was not so much taken up with a sense of His sufferings as to forget His friends, all whose concerns He bore.text
- What Was Finished?36Jesus did not say, "I am finished," for that would imply that he died defeated and exhausted. Rather, he cried out "It is finished."text
- Why Did Jesus Feel Forsaken?25Before Jesus died on the cross, the gospel accounts record seven specific statements that He made. Perhaps the most enigmatic of these comes from Matthew.text more...
- Did the Disciples Steal Jesus's Body?121The members of the Sanhedrin posted guards at Jesus's tomb for fear the disciples would steal the body. But they shouldn't have been worried.text
- Could Jesus Have Survived the Crucifixion?109According to some critics, Jesus never really died. Instead, He went into a deep coma or "swoon" from the severe pain and trauma of the Crucifixion.text
- Is the Resurrection a Myth?46How can we know beyond any doubt that Jesus really rose from the dead?text more...
- What is Jesus Doing Now?34Have you ever wondered what Jesus is doing, now that He has ascended to heaven?text
- Does Jesus Still Have His Wounds?5It is impossible to omit from that ascended and reigning One the wounds He bears.text
- Did Jesus Shed His Humanity at the Ascension?2One remarkable thing about the ascension is that it affirms Christ’s physical body went into Heaven following his resurrection.text more...